The final film shot and edited by the late Nobuhiko Obayashi released via this limited edition SteelBook.
Filming in his hometown of Onomichi for the first time in 20 years, Obayashi invites us into an intoxicating cinematic world. Against a backdrop that traces the history of Japan’s wars, Labyrinth of Cinema shapeshifts between styles and genres, drawing influences from silent films, talkies, action flicks, musicals, and more - and creates something triumphantly unique in the process.
Director: Nobuhiko Obayashi
Cast: Tadanobu Asano, Takuro Atsuki, Yoshihiko Hosoda, Takahito Hosoyamada, Riko Narumi, Yukihiro Takahashi, Rei Yoshida
Language: Japanese (with English subtitles)
Runtime: 179 minutes
- HD digital transfer, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack.
- Notes from the Labyrinth, a 60-minute documentary featuring exclusive behind-the-scenes footage and interviews with Ôbayashi and the cast during the making of the film.
- Video Interview with wife and long-time producer Kyôko Ôbayashi, moderated by independent film programmer Aiko Masubuchi.
- Short Video Introduction by Kyôko and daughter Chigumi Ôbayashi.
- "Dreaming Together in a Cinematic Labyrinth," Exclusive Essay by award-winning author Eiko Ikegami.
- Eight poems by Chuya Nakahara from the film, with new English translations.
- US & Japanese Trailers.
- Plastic o-card slipcover.
- Exclusive New Cover Art by Jess Fang.