Encounter of the Spooky Kind sees Sammo Hung play Courageous Cheung, a man well known in his local village for his lack of fear. His reputation is soon put to the test after he is tricked into spending the night in a temple full of spirits, zombies, and vampires!
Not content with delivering a bucket load of supernatural chills and thrills, Sammo also delivers some of the finest action choreography of his career.
A defining film in Hong Kong genre cinema, Encounter of the Spooky Kind blended kung fu, special effects, and Chinese folklore to invent a whole new sub-genre of Asian cinema, the jiangshi film (hopping vampires), which only a few years later would spawn the iconic and hugely successful Mr. Vampire.
Director: Sammo Hung
Cast: Sammo Hung, Wu Ma, Lam Ching Ying, Wong Ha, Dick Wei
Genre: Horror Comedy
Language: Cantonese (with English subtitles)
Country: Hong Kong
Runtime: 103 minutes
- Limited Edition O-Card slipcase featuring new artwork by Darren Wheeling [2000 copies]
- Limited Edition reversible poster featuring the film’s original HK artwork [2000 copies]
- 1080p presentation on Blu-ray from a brand new 2K restoration (worldwide debut of this restoration on home video)
- Cantonese audio (original mono presentation)
- Rare alternate Cantonese soundtrack
- Optional English dubbed audio
- Optional English Subtitles (newly translated for this release)
- Brand new feature length audio commentary by Asian film expert Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival)
- Archival interview with Sammo Hung
- Alternate English opening & closing credits
- Stills Gallery
- Original trailer
- Limited Edition collector’s booklet featuring new writing by James Oliver [2000 copies]
- Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1