Director Kinji Fukasakus (Battle Royale) Street Mobster is a yakuza rise and fall story that was pivotal to both the director, and it's lead Bunta Sugawara, paving the way for their subsequent collaborations on the landmark Battles Without Honour and Humanity series that began the following year.
On release after five years in prison, a yakuza gangster comes face to face with a prostitute who he had assaulted years earlier. While the two outcasts form an unlikely bond, he joins with his previous gang members to build-up their gang and shake up the two leading yakuza clans who control the city.
However, when the new outfit goes too far into the turf of the big boys, they find themselves caught in the midst of a violent reprisal, before an offer of patronage appears from an unlikely source.
Director: Kinji Fukasaku
Cast: Bunta Sugawara, Noboru Andô, Mayumi Nagisa
Genre: Yakuza action
Language: Japanese (with English subtitles)
Runtime: 92 minutes
- High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation
- Original uncompressed PCM mono audio
- Optional English subtitles
- Audio commentary by Japanese cinema expert Tom Mes
- Theatrical trailer
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Chris Malbon