Teen idol Hiroko Yakushimaru catapults to fame in SAILOR SUIT AND MACHINE GUN.
Part delinquent high-school action drama, part Yakuza satire, Koizumi (Yakushimaru) is a young innocent school girl forced to grow up quickly when her father dies and she becomes the boss of a moribund yakuza clan.
Inventively adapted from Jiro Akagawa's popular novel by director Shinji Somai (Typhoon Club, Wait and See), a massively influential figure in Japanese cinema whose work has been little seen outside his homeland.
Presented in both its Original Theatrical and longer Complete versions, and the first time one of Somai's films has been released on home video outside of Asia, this landmark work from his early career with the catchy theme song indelibly etched into the zeitgeist of early-1980s Japan.
Director: Shinji Somai
Cast: Hiroko Yakushimaru, Tsunehiko Watase, Rentaro Mikuni
Genre: Teenage Delinquent/ Yakuza
Language: Japanese (with English subtitles)
Runtime: 141 minutes
- High Definition Blu-rayTM (1080p) presentations of the Original Theatrical Version and the 1982 Complete Version (kanpeki-ban) re-issue of the film, restored by Kadokawa Pictures from a 4K scan of the original negative
- Original uncompressed Japanese mono and 5.1 audio
- Optional English subtitles
- Girls, Guns and Gangsters: Shinji Somai & Sailor Suit & Machine Gun, an exclusive new 50-minute documentary featuring actor Akira Emoto, film scholar Chika Kinoshita, Somai biographer Tatsuya Kimura and Sailor Suit assistant director Koji Enomoto discussing the making of the film, its director and its legacy.
- Original Trailers and TV spots for both versions
- Image Gallery
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Michael Lomon