Tartan Asia Extreme distributed some of the most important Asian cinema titles in the 2000's, and some of their DVDs are now available on the Terracotta store.
BATTLE ROYALE is a seminal 'must-see' Japanese film that was the basis of inspiration for THE HUNGER GAMES, with a great performance from 'Beat' Takeshi.
With schoolchildren all over the country growing increasingly delinquent, the Japanese government takes decisive action and introduces the Battle Royale Act. The Act sets forth a plan whereby a class will be chosen at random and flown to a remote island, where each student will then be given a weapon and set loose to fight their classmates, each student knowing that only one of their number will be allowed to leave the island alive.
When Class B of Zentsuji Middle School are chosen to take part in the massacre, the different students quickly take sides against each other, but Shuya (Tatsuya Fujiwara) and Noriko (Aki Maeda) form an alliance in an attempt to survive the experience together.
Director: Kinji Fukasaku
Cast: Takeshi 'Beat' Kitano, Masanobu Ando, Taro Yamamoto, Sosuke Takaoka, Tatsuya Fujiwara, Hirohito Honda, Eri Ishikawa, Sayaka Ikeda, Tomomi Shimaki, Aki Maeda, Ko Shibasaki, Chiaki Kuriyama
Genre: Violent action thriller
Language: Japanese (with English subtitles)
Runtime: 117 minutes
- Special Edition of the film featuring additional footage and alternative ending
- The Making of Battle Royale
- Battle Royale press conference
- Instructional Video - Birthday version
- Audition and rehearsal footage
- Special effects comparison featurette
- Tokyo International Film Festival 2000
- Battle Royale Documentary
- Basketball Scene Rehearsals
- Behind - the - scenes featurette
- Filming on set
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Special Edition TV spot
- TV spot: Tarantino version
- Director's Statement
- On-screen Filmographies