Taylor Wong’s two-film RICH AND FAMOUS (1987) and TRAGIC HERO (1987), starring Andy Lau and Alex Man Chee Leong, is a Triad saga spanning decades, with influences from THE GODFATHER and ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA and has the action and gun-play of peak 1980s Hong Kong action movies.
In RICH AND FAMOUS, in order to pay off a gambling debt two brothers Yung (Alex Man) and Kwok (Andy Lau) enter a dangerous world of violent criminals. Crossing paths with the charismatic gangster Li Ah Chai (Chow Yun Fat), the two brothers join his gang and quickly rise through the ranks.
Then in the spectacularly action-packed TRAGIC HERO, the fortunes of all three characters has changed significantly, with one of the brothers now a violent Triad leader seeking revenge.
Also starring Danny Lee (who would reunite with Chow Yun Fat two years later for John Woo’s THE KILLER), RICH AND FAMOUS and TRAGIC HERO make their blu ray debuts in the UK, from new restorations, via Eureka Entertainment.
Director: Taylor Wong
Language: Cantonese (with English subtitles)
Country: Hong Kong
Year of Production: 1987
- Limited Edition slipcase featuring artwork by Grégory Sacré (Gokaiju) [2000 copies]
- 1080p presentations on Blu-ray from new restorations of the original film elements
- Original Cantonese audio tracks
- Newly translated English subtitles (optional)
- Brand new audio commentaries on both films by Asian film expert Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival)
- Brand new video piece looking at the dubbing of Hong Kong films into English during the 80s, featuring an interview with Simon Broad who was the voice of Chow Yun Fat for the English language releases of many of his films
- Interview with Manfred Wong (archival)
- Interview with Michael Mak (archival)
- A collectors booklet featuring new writing on both films by James Oliver [2000 copies]
- **All Extras subject to change
Aspect Ratio: 1.2:1