Chang Cheh is recognised as perhaps the greatest martial arts director of all time and 1977's THE BRAVE ARCHER provided him with one of his biggest box office successes.
Reinventing the kung-fu formula in the era of Bruce Lee knock-offs, this period-set bout of fist-to-fist fighting and swashbuckling action used the hit Cantonese novel The Legend of the Condor Heroes as its basis.
With a whimsical sense of 'old China', THE BRAVE ARCHER undoubtedly paved the way for such later wuxia blockbusters as ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA and CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON by weaving a lavish costume-packed story of rival kung fu schools pitting their best fighters against a series of trials and tribulations.
Featuring an ensemble cast that includes Alexander Fu Sheng (HEROES SHED NO TEARS) and Ti Lung (A BETTER TOMORROW), the action comes furious and fast, the atmosphere is so strong you can almost taste the Far Eastern fog and the battles are some of the most mesmerising ever produced! Leading to two sequels THE BRAVE ARCHER is one of the standout Shaw Brothers adventures and 88 Films is thrilled to bring this classic to UK shelves in glorious HD.
Director: Chang Cheh
Cast: Alexander Fu Sheng, Ti Lung, Lo Meng
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
- RESTORED HD MASTER IN ORIGINAL 2.35:1 ASPECT RATIO
- Audio Commentary by Hong-Kong cinema expert Bey Logan
- Interview with Asian Cinema Expert, David West
- Reverse Sleeve featuring Original Hong Kong Poster Art
- Region Code: 2
- Picture Format: NTSC 2.35:1
- Audio Format: Dolby Dual Mono 2.0
- Language: English & Chinese with English Subtitles
- Certification: 15
- Running Time: 127 Mins Approx