New Releases from Eureka Videos
A retelling of the classic story of the 47 ronin from the director of Battle Royale : The Fall of Ako Castle
Kinji Fukasaku (Battle Royale) brings together an ensemble cast, including two icons of Japanese cinema – Toshiro Mifune (Seven Samurai) and Sonny Chiba (The Street Fighter) – for this samurai epic, a retelling of the classic story of the 47 Ronin.
When an injustice costs his master his life and estate, loyal retainer Ōishi (Kinnosuke Yorozuya, Bushido) vows revenge. Because the target of his vengeance is protected by the ruling shōgunate, any retaliation would be seen as an act of treason. Ōishi assembles the remaining ranks of the now-masterless samurai and the 47 of them pledge a blood oath to avenge their slain lord. Tensions rise among the ranks of the ronin eager to launch the mission, as Ōishi bides his time awaiting the right time to strike. Enemy spies and assassins track Ōishi, who has seemingly fallen into vice; has he lost his sense of honour, or is it just a part of his plan?
The Fall of Ako Castle offers a moving tale of loyalty, betrayal, and sacrifice where classical history explodes into brutal samurai carnage. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present Fukasaku’s retelling of one of Japan’s most resonant historical events.
SPECIAL BLU-RAY EDITION FEATURES:
- Limited edition O-Card slipcase featuring new artwork by Chris Malbon |
- Presented in 1080p HD from a restoration of the original film elements by Toei
- Uncompressed original Japanese Mono audio | Optional English subtitles
- New audio commentary by critic Tom Mes
- New interview with asian film expert Tony Rayns
-New video essay by author and critic Jasper Sharp
- Reversible sleeve featuring original poster artwork
- PLUS: A collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Jonathan Clements
One of the most unique thrillers from the Golden Age of Hong Kong cinema comes to Blu-ray : Casino Raiders
An early entry in the Hong Kong gambling film cycle of the ’80s and ’90s, Casino Raiders injects the genre with a dose of bloody mayhem courtesy of directors Jimmy Heung and Wong Jing.
Con-artist and gambler Crab (Andy Lau) gets out of prison and joins his childhood friend and partner Sam (Alan Tam) to work for a casino magnate. Their job is to expose a group of Japanese card-players who have cheated their way to a fortune. The pair find themselves in the cross-hairs of the Yakuza, leading to a series of escalating acts of violence that test the bonds of loyalty to their limit. When their luck runs out, they make one final gamble: a game of poker with the highest of stakes.
Filled with surprises right until its final moments, Eureka Classics is proud to present Casino Raiders, a shockingly violent tale of brotherhood and sacrifice and one of the most unique thrillers from the Golden Age of Hong Kong cinema.
SPECIAL BLU-RAY EDITION FEATURES*:
- Limited edition O-Card slipcase featuring artwork by Grégory Sacré (Gokaiju)
- 1080p presentation on Blu-ray from a restoration of the original film elements
- Original Cantonese audio track | Optional English subtitles
- Brand new feature length audio commentary by Asian film expert Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival)
- Brand new feature length audio commentary by action cinema experts Mike Leeder & Arne Venema
- New documentary looking at gambling culture in Hong Kong, and the popularity of the film genre that Casino Raiders helped to popularise
- PLUS: A Limited edition collector’s booklet featuring new writing by James Oliver
The most action-packed trilogy of all time on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray : Police Story Trilogy
Eureka Entertainment to re-issue THE POLICE STORY TRILOGY, the exhilarating martial arts comedies that established Jackie Chan as a worldwide superstar. Presented as part of the Eureka Classics range on Ultra HD Blu-ray from stunning 4K restorations. Available from 4 December 2023. Featuring some of the most dangerous stunts ever performed on camera, these three films represent the pinnacle of Jackie Chan’s unique style of Hong Kong action filmmaking. A dazzling blend of gritty action cop drama, impeccably choreographed martial-arts sequences, and bone-crunching stuntwork – this series of films revitalised the Hong Kong action genre and established Jackie Chan as a worldwide superstar.
THREE-DISC STANDARD EDITION CONTENTS
-New sleeve artwork by Tony Stella
-4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentations of all three films across 3 Ultra HD Blu-ray Discs in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
Preorder these titles when you #Shopterracotta