Beach of the War Gods (1973) sees kung fu innovator Jimmy Wang Yu blend wuxia mayhem with a SEVEN SAMURAI premise.
In the waning days of the Ming dynasty, Japanese marauders raid villages on the Chinese coast. A wandering swordsman (Jimmy Wang Yu) single-handedly dispatches a group of the invading thugs and agrees to help defend the town. He assembles a core team of highly skilled warriors, including mercenary knife thrower Leng Ping (Tien Yeh, BLOOD OF THE DRAGON) and hot-headed swordsman Iron Bull Chao (Hsieh Han, ONE ARMED BOXER).
Together, they train the townsfolk to stand up to the pirates, using strategy and skill. When the army launches an all-out assault on the town, a ferocious battle rages, leading to final conflict on the Beach of the War Gods.
Celebrating its 50th anniversary, Beach of the War Gods ranks among Jimmy Wang Yu’s best films, a briskly-paced historical adventure bursting with wild action. Eureka blu ray release with a 2K restoration.
Director: Jimmy Wang Yu
Cast: Jimmy Wang Yu, Fei Lung, Tien Yeh, Hsieh Han
Language: Mandarin (with English subtitles)
Country: Hong Kong
- Limited Edition O-Card Slipcase (First Print Run of 2000 copies only) featuring new artwork by Tony Stella
- 1080p HD presentation on Blu-ray of the original Hong Kong theatrical cut from a brand new 2K restoration
- Original Mandarin mono audio
- Optional English dubbed audio
- Optional English Subtitles, newly translated for this release
- Brand new feature length audio commentary by Asian film expert Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival)
- Brand new interview with action cinema experts Mike Leeder & Arne Venema on the life and career of Jimmy Wang Yu
- Archival interview with Jimmy Wang Yu
- PLUS: A Limited Edition Collector’s Booklet (First Print Run of 2000 copies only) featuring new writing by James Oliver and a review of the film by Dr Craig D. Reid from his book The Ultimate Guide to Martial Arts Movies of the 1970s
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1