***Pre-order for release on 26 FEB 2024. Payment taken at checkout, order shipped closer to release date. If your order contains this title (or other pre-orders) then please note all orders are shipped out in one go, once all titles are available (we don't part-ship)***
BY A MAN'S FACE YOU SHALL KNOW HIM (1966) depicts a community struggling against immigrant gangs in the ruins of postwar Tokyo. Only doctor Amamiya (real-life ex-yakuza Noboru Ando) can save them, but he had enough fighting in the war. His pacifism is severely tested by the gangs’ increasingly outrageous taunts and when his neighbours decide to take matters into their own hands, Amamiya is forced to take action.
The consequences prove to be much more far-reaching than he could ever foresee. With a story spread across three time periods, Tai Kato’s ambitious revision of the yakuza movie was one of the first films to tackle the taboo subject of Japan’s Korean nationals, greatly influencing later directors such as Kinji Fukasaku and Takashi Miike.
- High-Definition digital transfer
- Uncompressed mono PCM audio
- Visual essay on Noboru Ando by Nathan Stuart
- Appreciation by filmmaker Kenta Fukasaku
- Newly translated English subtitles
- Reversible sleeve featuring original newly commissioned artwork by Time Tomorrow
- Limited edition booklet featuring new writing
- Limited edition of 3000 copies, presented in full-height Scanavo packaging with removable OBI strip leaving packaging free of certificates and markings