***Pre-order for release on 29 JAN 2024. Payment taken at checkout, order shipped closer to release date. If your order contains this title (or other pre-orders) then please note all orders are shipped out in one go, once all titles are available (we don't part-ship)***
I, THE EXECUTIONER (1968) directed by Tai Kato (BY A MAN'S FACE YOU SHALL KNOW HIM), is a pitch black neo noir that makes the serial killer the central character.
A man brutally murders a woman after forcing her to write the names of four others.
As the murders pile up, the police investigate the links between the victims and how they may be connected to the suicide of a young boy in the same building.
With a production pedigree of director Tai Kato, a former apprentice of Akira Kurosawa and better known for his yakuza films, and screenplay by Yoji Yamada (director of TWILIGHT SAMURAI) with sensationally photographed claustrophobic close ups from cinematographer Keiji Maruyama (SHANGHAI RHAPSODY), I, THE EXECUTIONER evokes both Hitchcock’s Psycho and the films of Nagisa Oshima, while also prefiguring the Italian giallo.
Director: Tai Kato
Cast: Sanae Nakahara, Chieko Baisho
Genre: Noir Thriller
Language: Japanese (with English subtitles)
- High-Definition digital transfer
- Uncompressed mono PCM audio
- Visual essay on Japanese serial killer films by Jim Harper
- Appreciation by filmmaker Kenta Fukasaku
- Newly translated English subtitles
- Reversible sleeve featuring original newly commissioned artwork by Time Tomorrow
- Limited edition booklet featuring new writing by Tony Rayns and a new translation of archival writing on the film
- Limited edition of 3000 copies, presented in full-height Scanavo packaging with removable OBI strip leaving packaging free of certificates and markings