Eureka Entertainment standard blu ray version of Fruit Chan's MADE IN HONG KONG.
Released to critical acclaim in 1997, the year of the Hong Kong handover, MADE IN HONG KONG was praised as an anarchic masterpiece, a powerful distillation of urban alienation and youthful despair.
Moon (Sam Lee, who had never acted before and was spotted by the director when skateboarding) is a small-time triad, stuck in an endless cycle of pointless violence with no hope of escape. After he and his friends witness the suicide of a young girl, they embark on a journey to deliver two letters she had on her when she died.
Produced on a shoestring budget, with non-professional actors and using discarded film reels for stock, the film has been rescued from obscurity and fully restored in 4K in time for its 20th anniversary in 2017, thanks to the Far East Film Festival, in collaboration with Andy Lau’s Hong Kong production company, Focus Film.
Director: Fruit Chan
Cast: Sam Lee, Neiky Yim Hui Chi, Wenders Li
Language: Cantonese (with English subtitles)
Country: Hong Kong
Runtime: 109 minutes
- 1080p presentation on Blu-ray from a 4K digital restoration
- Uncompressed LPCM 2.0 audio
- Optional English subtitles
- New interview with director Fruit Chan
- New interview with producer Doris Yang
- New interview with producer Daniel Yu
- New interview with Marco Muller, former director of the Locarno Film Festival
- A collector’s booklet featuring new writing by film historian Alexandra Heller-Nicholas & Tony Rayns; Fruit Chan’s director’s statement from the film’s original 1997 press release; and an interview with director Fruit Chan from 2017, after the film’s restoration