Yasujiro Ozu's Good Morning and early comedy I Was Born, But.... presented here in a dual format (blu ray and DVD set from the BFI.
A Tokyo suburb buzzing with gossip is the backdrop to Yasujiro Ozu's cheerful comedy, Good Morning. Disillusioned with the meaningless talk to their elders, two brothers take a vow of silence when their parents refuse to buy them a TV. Good Morning pokes fun at the silliness of everyday chatter whilst gently acknowledging its fundamental necessity.
I Was Born, But.... the forerunner of Good Morning, this silent masterpiece contains many similar themes but a darker edge. As brothers Ryoichi and Keiji struggle to outwit the local bully and scale the pecking order in their new neighbourhood they find out that injustice does not end with school.
Director: Yasujiro Ozu
Cast: Keiji Sada, Chishu Ryu, Tatsuo Saito
- Standard Definition and High Definition presentations of Good Morning (DVD and Blu-ray)
- Standard Definition presentation of I Was Born, But… (DVD only)
- Newly composed score for I Was Born, But… by Ed Hughes and featuring the New Music Players
- Fully illustrated booklet features newly commissioned sleevenote essay by silent film curator Bryony Dixon and contemporary review by Jonathan Rosenbaum
- New and improved English subtitles