An early example of the Hong Kong gambling films from the ’80s and ’90s (think GOD OF GAMBLERS), CASINO RAIDERS (1989) directed by Jimmy Heung and Wong Jing, injects the genre with a dose of bloody mayhem.
Casino Raiders cast pairs Andy Lau who plays a con-artist and gambler, fresh out of prison, joining childhood friend, played by Alan Tam, to work for a casino magnate. They manage to expose a Yakuza gang who have made a fortune by cheating at cards at the casino.
Fresh from this success, the pair sent to Lake Tahoe to look after the casino's operations there, but soon find themselves in the cross-hairs of the Yakuza. A series of escalating acts of violence and wrath ensues that test the bonds of loyalty to their limit. When their luck runs out, they make one final gamble: a game of poker with the highest of stakes.
Eureka Entertainment to release CASINO RAIDERS, a shockingly violent tale of brotherhood and sacrifice, starring Andy Lau. Presented on Blu-ray for the first time ever in UK, as part of Eureka Classics range. Available from 4 December 2023, the first print run of 2000 copies will feature a Limited-Edition O-card Slipcase and Collector’s Booklet.
Directors: Jimmy Heung, Wong Jing
Cast: Andy Lau, Alan Tam, Idy Chan, Rosamund Kwan
Genre: Crime Action
Language: Cantonese (with English subtitles)
Country: Hong Kong
- Limited edition O-Card slipcase featuring artwork by Grégory Sacré (Gokaiju)
- 1080p presentation on Blu-ray from a restoration of the original film elements
- Original Cantonese audio track
- Optional English subtitles
- Brand new feature length audio commentary by Asian film expert Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival)
- Brand new feature length audio commentary by action cinema experts Mike Leeder & Arne Venema
- New documentary looking at gambling culture in Hong Kong, and the popularity of the film genre that Casino Raiders helped to popularise
- PLUS: A Limited edition collector’s booklet featuring new writing by James Oliver
Aspect Ratios: 1.85:1