Benny Chan's debut film A MOMENT OF ROMANCE (1990) starring Andy Lau and Jacklyn Wu Chien Lien. A beautifully shot example of Hong Kong action cinema, bullet ballet style, and the first in the A MOMENT OF ROMANCE trilogy.
Small-time hood Wah Dee (Andy Lau, Infernal Affairs) is enlisted by Triad boss Trumpet (Tommy Wong, The Killer) as a getaway driver for a daring heist that goes wrong.
Thinking fast Dee takes Jo Jo (Jacklyn Wu Chien Lien, The Barefooted Kid) hostage to save his skin, but the bosses order her to be killed. They escape and begin a forbidden relationship while being chased by both sides of the law. Produced by Johnnie To (Throw Down) and Ringo Lam (City on Fire, Wild Search) the film is sensationally directed by Benny Chan in his feature debut.
With a breakneck pace and violence reminiscent of To and Takashi Miike and the beautiful and emotive sensibility of Wong Kar-wai, the film features stunning performances from Lau, and Wu in her debut work. A Moment of Romance is a classic of Hong Kong cinema that has been much imitated but rarely bettered.
Director: Benny Chan
Cast: Andy Lau, Wu Chien Lien
Language: Cantonese (with English subtitles)
Country: Hong Kong
- Archival audio interview with Benny Chan who discusses his start in the industry, A Moment of Romance, and his collaborators on the film (2016, 21 mins)
- In Love and Danger: HK Cinema Through A Moment of Romance - A new visual essay by critic and Asian cinema expert David Desser on the genre tropes in A Moment of Romance and their use in Hong Kong cinema (2023, 26 mins)
- Audio commentary by Asian cinema expert Frank Djeng
- Newly translated English subtitles by Dylan Cheung
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Time Tomorrow
- Limited edition booklet featuring new writing on the iconic cast and crew by critic Sean Gilman; and a profile of Benny Chan by Tony Williams, co-editor of Hong Kong Neo Noir
- Limited edition of 3000 copies, presented in full-height Scanavo packaging with removable OBI strip leaving packaging free of certificates and markings
- 4K restoration of the film from the original camera negative
- Original uncompressed mono PCM audio
- Region: A, B